Saturday, December 27, 2008

Forced Into First Gear


This has been an odd Christmas. Rick called in sick on Christmas Eve because he had been up all night coughing. He drank warm drinks all day and I made soup. He was due to do a lot of singing that night at our church Christmas Eve service. He changed some notes to make it easier on himself and made it through very well. By the time we got back from the service, I was feeling rough. It was one of those tired feelings where I could have just layed down on the chairs and gone right to sleep. The dim lights didn't help that either:).
Rick was better Christmas day, thank the Lord, because woke up with my throat barely able to swallow liquids and my neck so sore from swollen glands. I sat on the couch with a throw blanket and warm drinks while Rick helped the kids with their presents. It was still a pleasant day though.
I had to go to bed from 1-3 in the afternoon. Rick helped Superkid build some lego's and the girls were busy with horses and new art supplies.
We were due at my mom's for dinner at 4. I tried hard to rouse myself. We had a good time celebrating Princess's birthday there. It is our tradition that the second half of Christmas day is dedicated to her birthday.
Usually the few days after Christmas I'm motivated to clean up the mess and help the kids organize their new things into their rooms. Instead I'm down for the third day. I'm concerned it's heading into a sinus infection. Rick is getting very little sleep because his cough gets so bad at night. Superkid has a lesser version of our cold and all of the kids has been coughing. It does not help that they have been eating poorly for a while. My wonderful mom brought over some carrot, cabbage, and Swiss chard chicken soup yesterday. That stuff is good in flavor and is a power boost for sickness.
I'm anxious for it to be over so I can make some headway in the house but in the meantime I'm catching up on some Hero's on Netflix watch now while the kids play their "new" retro NES games found for them. If there is a time for Nintendo it's when mommy is sick and daddy has to work.
One thing I know about myself is that when I've been sick and finally get better I get this amazing burst of energy. I also get an amazing burst of energy with the new year. I love mapping out goals and starting with a bang. So, I'm looking forward to better days soon. For now, I'm resting next to a quickly depleting box of tissues.


4 comments:

Karen said...

Awww, feel better hun!

*passing a new box of kleenex*

Godsgirl68 said...

Ahhhhh, get better soon Buddy!!! Coughing and tissues don't go nicely with Christmas, or birthdays. :( Prayers and hugs, beth

Kristen Borland said...

oh man! hope you are feeling better soon!

thought rick did amazing, especially now that i know he was sick. wow!

Zimms Zoo said...

I am so sorry that you were sick on Christmas (or at all for that matter). We have been sick several times at Christmas and it isn't any fun.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.