Saturday, January 3, 2009

This Just Came To Me


For some reason I was pondering free will. Am I the only one who just starts thinking about these things? Anyway..
I have been really enjoying the music of Chris Tomlin (as my playlist surely indicates) since being introduced to the Louie Giglio DVD messages . I was pondering the joy I have when God grants me a little growth in my understanding of how big he is, and how intimate at the same time. While pondering this it made me wonder why God did not just reveal himself to mankind. Whey does he use the written word, the bible, and the past revelations written down as well but spoken long ago by the prophets. In essence, why does he not just speak down audibly to mankind and say "HEY! I'm here! I made you and I do care for you!"
I mean really, would that not just make is so much easier? Then there would not be anyone doubting the existence of God or any of those sayings like "well, I'll believe it when I see it. "
I know what you may be thinking...cause my brain does the same thing. "Well, he did it this way to grow our faith in the unseen" or "It brought Him more glory by doing it this way". Or something else I'd love to hear if you want to share. Yet I then began to realize why God could not revel himself this way. I think it has to do with free will.
I started to imagine if the heavens opened up and God spoke to us and the result would be one thing..sheer terror. I think God knows there is something in us as his creation that would have no choice but to respond to him if he approached us directly. Even our thoughts on God as believers is proof of this. As Louie was talking about in one of his presentations, we go about our day and begin to forget about God and make Him small just by that alone. We make him small and make us big. (how wrong we are!) Imagine if we struggle to absorb his greatness as those who believe, how small or non-existent those who do not believe must see him!
At the cost of loosing himself in our eyes, the great breather of the heavens, keeps himself from us directly for the sake of our free will. Only by his revelation through the words inspired by him and written by men or inspired by him and spoken by men, or the birth and Death of Christ (which was in essence the closest we have ever gotten as humanity to God himself and yet he had to lower himself entirely to be revealed...interesting side note), have we heard from God. This along with the mystery of election and the work of the Holy Spirit working in our hearts is what draw us to Him.
If he opened the heavens and spoke to mankind, we would all fall on our knees and worship. We would have no choice. It would be the response of the created to the creator. He wants us to want him. Why? Because that brings him more joy and he exists (as Piper so keenly reiterates) to embellish his own happiness. Let us remember that this is not a selfish thing as it would be with men, but the very existence of who he is by nature and we only benefit by him seeking his own happiness because we are part of his happiness. Can you wrap your head around that? I love working on that one..it brings me such joy when it use to frustrate me until I started to understand.
Do any of us build a robotic husband programed to love us at every turn? No! Why? Because we want to be loved by the will of another, or loved by choice so to speak. By the decisions to want to rather than a programing to do so. To allow us to want Him reveals our realization of his greatness and partnered with the nurturing of the Holy Spirt is a harmony of loving glory.
Every man on the earth would acknowledge the greatness of God if he revealed himself directly. He knows we could not do otherwise. He prefers to win our hearts. Does that sound like a tyrannical God to you? And yet, he does not need it from us either but wants it. What a romantic! What an emotional side of Him. He is looking for depth from us, a seeking and desiring of him. He knows he could have each of us in an instant, devoted and obedient, and yet he restrains himself longing more for the few who hear his gentle voice.
Wow.

Yet, he also says that he will not restrain himself forever. Once he does though, it will be to late for those who have not chosen to hear him.
"at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth," Phill 2:10

But to have heard and trusted in him, there will be no sweeter moment in our existence. The old things shall have passed away and behold, new things have come!
Can't wait.


So, now on to my other question of God. Remember that I have these with no doubt but complete trust...I just look forward to finding the answers to them!:)
If God is only full of righteousness, as He is, then how can he have created even the possibility of evil? Nothing exists outside of Him, so where did evil come from? Even if the devil is, as we know from the word, a former angel who wanted equality with God and therefore was cast out of heaven with his angels, where did evil itself get it's start so that it could be manifested this way?
It makes me think of Lewis and his allegorical use of the term "deep magic".
See, I know there is an answer, and I know that God knows I cannot handle it right now, but it's great fun to stretch my spiritual thoughts anyway. I think he delights when we do as long as we are not using them as empty human arguments against Him which is the greatest foolishness we come up with.
His thoughts are not our thoughts so I just have to wait for His explanation of some things.

4 comments:

Godsgirl68 said...

This was a great post Alicia! A gentle and truthful reminder of the awesome God we serve. Thanks Alicia!

Ganeida said...

I think you are right when you say our free will would be affected if we heard God directly all the time. Keeping it short here; the times I have heard God directly I have been so totally enveloped in love that I could not chose any other way than to follow where He led. Unfortunately, from my point of view, the vision dims like any other over time but the vestiges remain. I am totally convinced of His love, that He is real [absolutely] & that the consequence of belief is *the joy that passeth understanding* ~ no matter what life throws our way.

Tricia said...

When I was reading your post these verses came to my mind. 1 Peter 1:8-9 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

John and I have had a few discussions on free will. I agree that it comes down to free will, believe in what we can not see, trust, and faith. It is easy to believe in what we do see. For me one of the key things was to realize that my mind can not completely understand God's mind and to be fine with that fact.

Alicia said...

That is a great applicable verse Trish, thanks for sharing it!